- @sispurrier Happy Birthday! That Calvin & Hobbes book sounds amazing! #
- The thing that really struck me about that Sun article about LOLcats was that they ALSO gave each image a pointless caption. #
- This office is now talking about making a video tutorial of a video capture tool using video capture. RECURSIVE REALITY LOOP. FREAKING OUT! #
- @steevbishop God, I hate photo captions. #
- @steevbishop "A Sun writer panic-producing neutral copy, today." #
- @MhairiMcF I can clarify that it apparently wasn't me. I saw this tweet, anyway. #
- @MhairiMcF On it, ma'am. *salutes* *turns back to monitor, starts typing furiously with no concern for which keys* #
- @MhairiMcF WAIT! We're in a classroom, right? Not a nerve centre? God, Wednesdays are confusing. #
- @sarahditum Well deserved. Am curious, though: Is the amount you should accept yourself on page 193 the same as on other pages? #
- @akirathedon I'm oldest of three – two sisters – so I'm coming out on side of resentment of first-born supremacy. #
- @sarahditum Hmm… intriguing. Wonder if Tescos on way home has copy. (Suspect they don't stock it in FP, so won't see it at lunchtime.) #
- @sarahditum I can see a few arguments against self-acceptance, but I always get what people mean by these things wrong in first place, so.:) #
- Having my first proper anxious geek moment in years, seeing the Dark Judges stuff today. Weird how this particular thing makes it happen… #
- …It's a very particular level of fan excitement that I don't really get susceptible to, but Day Of Chaos has just geared me up for it. #
- Between Judge Dredd: Day Of Chaos & @DanSlott's Amazing Spider-Man events, very formative sort of comics excitement is resurging in me. #
- This week #MOMB is asking what "continuity" means to you right now? Answer here, via email to MOMBcast@gmail.com, or at FB, G+ or Tumblr.RT! #
- (Those other links to the question are FB = http://t.co/I5oRcusz, G+ = http://t.co/2RnEgeGE, & Tumblr = http://t.co/Y3iToLXr ) #
- BTW, we're curious to know what continuity means to our civilian friends – people who aren't hugely geeky… #
- @Pytyr2011 Yay! #
- All this excitement about the Dark Judges coming back, & I didn't even know Colin Macneil was going to be drawing it. AMAZING work there! #
- BTW, Twitter-peeps who haven't listened to #MOMBcast before – @JamesMOMB says stuff like this all the time: http://t.co/Mf6BnG6h … #
- …& most of our exchanges are probably about this intelligent: http://t.co/iQVBqBnN #MOMBcast #
- @ellenstarbuck Great post. I really enjoyed the film, but you're not wrong about any of your observations. There WERE a couple of scenes… #
- @ellenstarbuck …where lived up to Whedon-at-emotionally-jagged-heights-of-Buffy standards, but only a couple. Shied from emotional peril. #
- @ellenstarbuck (Fascinated by your post-edu reaction to film, tho… film component to mine had opposite effect entirely… #
- @ellenstarbuck …Pre-degree I was very judgmental/anti-populist, & after, I had a taste for Big. Movies. TM.) #
- @StacebobT I wish I'd said "cunt" on your show. We have a no "cunt" rule on #MOMBcast to keep @JamesMOMB in check. Feel like I missed out. #
- @marcmaron Mmm, cosy. Wait a minute…! That didn't sound like I meant it to sound! #
- @samwisemoss You and Lorry are MONSTERS! Awesome, awesome monsters! #
- @MhairiMcF I wonder if all the furniture will seem smaller, & the ceilings lower? #
- @emslj Hah! Is that so? I mostly just mumble along to that whole song. Well, except for "it wears me out", which I'm comfy with. #
- @emslj …Also "If I could be who you wanted. If I could be who you wanted". While hacking weakly at my wrists with a butter knife. #
- @emslj (My experiences of that album are tied to a very specific, emotionally pathetic time in my life. Lots of drinking/self-pity.) #
- @emslj (But no real butter-knife suicide attempts, I promise.) #
- @emslj (I only said that because 20-something white-male misery & desperation is HILARIOUS.) #
- @emslj Sometimes it's good to swallow did you sa… too far? Hang on… I wrote a story very specifically about that period. Give me a mo… #
- @emslj http://t.co/7UkJwy0j – Though I should mention that I wasn't a girl at the time & the whole gay component is largely fiction. Mostly. #
- @sarahditum INTO a suitcase or… I kind of want to ask more about this, & at same time kind of don't. #
- @sarahditum Having said that, APPARENTLY I'm an expert, so. #
- @sarcastathon AND ALSO the modesty. Don't forget the modesty! It's my favourite of your traits… #
- @JMDeMatteis Hi! Out of interest, had you noticed the odd spam generated by our long-ago tweets about a Blood movie? Really weird. #
- @JMDeMatteis It's very peculiar. It doesn't even LOOK like spam, except it's repetition of early tweets. Hm. #
- @JMDeMatteis This is the latest: https://t.co/PqVxLJR4 but I've had it from lots of other accounts. Weird. #
- @JMDeMatteis (It isn't obvious from that tweet that it's about Blood, but other ones have been. How odd!) #
- @sarcastathon You are EVERYTHING as WELL AS modest, you mean! Don't sell yourself short! #
- @sarcastathon You know, this may be embarassing to admit, but wife swoons every time he says something on Blue Blood. (As do I.) #
- @JMDeMatteis That is very true, actually! #
- @emslj Dominic West's accent is a little odd in everything except The Wire, which is kind of weird. #
- Parks & Rec catch-up for the win! Burt Macklin is bad-ass! #
- @emslj …having said that, The Wire feels like the only thing I've seen him in that's really stretched him. #
- @emslj Well, except Aiden Gillen, who now gets to deliver melodramatic monologues while watching women have sex with each other. #
- @emslj It divided people, but I think it revealed a lot about the character as well… #
- @emslj …could they have revealed the same things a different way? Sure. But the dude DOES run a brothel. #
- @emslj Ha, well, we personally loved it in our house, so we're obviously terrible too! #
Game of Cats
History of mankind by Milo Manara
He said Star Trek is too “philosophical”? Screw that noise.
I don’t know when this interview happened but I AM SAD AND ANGRY NOW
The philosophies in Star Trek are kinda part of the actual setting. If you don’t get that, why are you allowed to make Star Trek movies.
Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that it’s philosophical. If you don’t want philosophical Science Fiction, there’s plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trek’s DNA, and if you’re given the captain’s chair, you’d better damn well respect that.
While you characters unbunch your panties, here’s a thing to consider: Abrams as a kid didn’t like Star Trek for being too philosophical. That’s an entirely legitimate reason for never having watched Star Trek as a kid. Abrams as an adult made a massively successful - both commercially and critically - Star Trek movie, which was both a sequel and a prequel and a reboot of a franchise dying on its arse.
I submit that the two are not entirely unrelated.
In fact, I’d go as far as to say that much - if not most - of the success, on every level, of J. J. Abrams’s Star Trek is precisely down to him not being a lifelong fan of the show.
When you cry and complain that Abrams shouldn’t have been allowed to make Star Trek films because he isn’t ‘one of us’; when you mock or criticise someone because their worldview isn’t yours, and you say it shouldn’t be allowed to intersect with yours; when you denigrate, rather than celebrate, diversity; when you desperately try to keep your part of the world clean and safe for yourself and don’t let the outsider and the alien in…
Then maybe the philosophy of Star Trek hasn’t taught you as much as you like to think it has.
I’m a pretty arrogant guy, so it isn’t often that someone says exactly what I was thinking, when I didn’t know it was exactly what I was thinking, and I can’t think of a single way to improve on it or amend it.
Oh, but for more rumination on fandom, you should definitely listen to Unanswered episode 11 - http://unansweredpodcast.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/show-11/
Space Jam: ‘I.S.S. (Is Somebody Singing)’ - Barenaked Ladies and Chris Hadfield, two great tastes that taste great together.
Purgatory by Jared Lyon