- @PatrickStrud @McKelvie To be fair that DOES sound pretty tolerant of Boris. I'm SURPRISED! I thought gay marriage would be over his line. #
- @bimadew Just had conversation in office about our local election. I'm having a lot of trouble getting inspired to anything but irritation. #
- Yes, not that it's any of your business, I voted. I VOTED TO GIVE DC52 another try with one of the titles released yesterday! #
- @bimadew I know! It is very difficult to think through all the noise. Also, I just really struggle to think locally about politics… #
- @bimadew If there was somebody who lived in a flat next to one of the city centre pubs here, who wasn't BNP, I'd prob vote for them. #
- First Red Bull in months – actually first "pop" in months – but needs must when the monsters are pushing at you. This should be fun… #
- HAPPY THURSDAY! #MOMBcast seeking contributions! Mail us thoughts or audio about comic-related stuff to MOMBcast@gmail.com! Please RT! #
- We're still asking comic & non comic people the question: What does continuity mean to you? Here, by mail, or at G+, FB or Tumblr… #
- Tumblr: http://t.co/Y3iToLXr – FB: http://t.co/I5oRcusz – G+: http://t.co/2RnEgeGE #
- @budgie Ahahaa! That's perfect! #
- @bsdpodcast We'd be interested to know what continuity means to any of you guys for tonight's show, btw… #
- @bsdpodcast …it'd also be interesting to see what people think of the term in relation to TV or movies. #
- @Chris_TOMP YAY! But before tonight, yeah? #
- @Chris_TOMP YAY! #
- BTW, sorry to my non-comicky followers/friends for all this double-posting of MOMB stuff. Hoping other spaces will kick off so I can stop. #
- (I am not a natural marketing bod, so don't really know how else to do this stuff.) #
- Even if you're only vaguely interested in comics, this is a great Saturday to visit your comic shop, non-comic friends! #FCBD #
- Southampton people: #MOMBcast recording bits all day at FP on Saturday, for #FCBD Come visit! @SolentSU @dailyecho @EastleighPolice #
- @steevbishop Hah, I just hit everybody remotely local. Eastleigh is well in the catchment, & I haven't got the Southampton ones. #
- @steevbishop I'd have included the Bournemouth Echo if I'd had room. #
- Video: Shep Smith reacts to Mitt Romney reacting to Newt Gingrich quitting Brilliant response. http://t.co/UjhrBtab #
- @steevbishop GOOD PLAN! ACTED ON! #
- @DJDarren Isn't it? Genius. #
- Oh hell, I am ALL OVER this particular Kickstarter. If you like comics, just take a look at the credits: http://t.co/VrrLja1T #
- If you aren't fussed about comics, but DO love nice art & female-friendly smut, trust me on this: http://t.co/VrrLja1T #
- Because you may have tuned out my comic tweets: @sarahditum @sarcastathon @bimadew @emslj This may interest you/yours: http://t.co/VrrLja1T #
- Seriously? @JessFink? @CSpeedMcNeil? @ErikaMoen? I've a checklist of amazing drawthors who don't get enough credit/love & they're all on it. #
- @AndrewTunney Ha, I'm afraid it is. It's a @JamesMOMB coined phrase for writer/artists. And you already ARE one! #
- @hermanos There's a really peculiar skill to working on the mag – very few writers ever really nail it, but magic when they do. #
- @hermanos (It's particular hard, even for those who put on a good routine, to nail the landing off the bar at the end.) #
- @hermanos (I don't really understand gymnastics.) #
- @sarahditum The BEST kind. Uh… the WORST kind. Wait, is this one of those weird semantic things? #
- @sarahditum Like where Hitler was one of the BEST dictators, because he was very accomplished at it, but was a jerk? #
- Just drafted & deleted an awful… JUST AWFUL… gag tweet riffing on 99 Problems, but with Grrrl instead of Girl problems. #
- …Had Courtney Love or Hole scanned in the second part, I'd have tweeted it, & you'd all hate me even more now. #
- @sarahditum Yes! Well done, troll-monkey, everybody hates you now… WAIT, you WERE riffing them, right? I'm not the titache? #
- @davidwynne I know, right? Lucky I don't know that much about Grrrl Power. #
- @sarahditum Aww, thankyou! That's actually quite lovely to hear! #
- @sarahditum Twitter is a mess of damaging dysfunctional behaviour, but there just isn't a better venue for kind words from respected people. #
- Think @JamesMOMB is going to love the super unhelpful answer I just sent him to the text question he just asked me. #
- @AndrewTunney I think it's half your age plus seven. #
- @Chris_TOMP DAMN YOU! (Nah, it's okay! We ran stupid long anyway!) #
- If you aren't following @azizansari, you're missing @azizansari live tweeting his reaction to the Expendables 2 trailer! YOU FUCKING IDIOT! #
- God, we really fucking went on about our weeks, this week. #
- We TOTALLY broke the embargo on the news about when Dragon's Lair comes out on the XBox 790-12! #MOMBcast #
- …Also, me singing at high-speed sounds just like @azizansari singing at high speed. #MOMBcast #
- Shit. SHIT SHIT SHIT. I fucking KNEW it. I've totally used the wrong name for a wonderful indie comic repeatedly. FUCKING IDIOT. #
- @MrGJohnson @Geebie Neither of yours DON'T YOU WORRY. Hopefully I'll do SUCH a fucking good job on the edit you won't be able to tell. #
- @The_NightPorter Sorry, no, we've had stuff going on all night. Getting on it now! #
- @sarawestrop Thankyou for the reassurance! You're awesome! #
- @The_NightPorter IMMINENT. #
- @JMDeMatteis She IS. She's absolutely wonderful. #
Wednesday 22nd May: “Tantrum recovery effort continues”
THIS IS THE NEWS!
(Fucking ace, as always.)
Game of Cats
History of mankind by Milo Manara
He said Star Trek is too “philosophical”? Screw that noise.
I don’t know when this interview happened but I AM SAD AND ANGRY NOW
The philosophies in Star Trek are kinda part of the actual setting. If you don’t get that, why are you allowed to make Star Trek movies.
Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that it’s philosophical. If you don’t want philosophical Science Fiction, there’s plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trek’s DNA, and if you’re given the captain’s chair, you’d better damn well respect that.
While you characters unbunch your panties, here’s a thing to consider: Abrams as a kid didn’t like Star Trek for being too philosophical. That’s an entirely legitimate reason for never having watched Star Trek as a kid. Abrams as an adult made a massively successful - both commercially and critically - Star Trek movie, which was both a sequel and a prequel and a reboot of a franchise dying on its arse.
I submit that the two are not entirely unrelated.
In fact, I’d go as far as to say that much - if not most - of the success, on every level, of J. J. Abrams’s Star Trek is precisely down to him not being a lifelong fan of the show.
When you cry and complain that Abrams shouldn’t have been allowed to make Star Trek films because he isn’t ‘one of us’; when you mock or criticise someone because their worldview isn’t yours, and you say it shouldn’t be allowed to intersect with yours; when you denigrate, rather than celebrate, diversity; when you desperately try to keep your part of the world clean and safe for yourself and don’t let the outsider and the alien in…
Then maybe the philosophy of Star Trek hasn’t taught you as much as you like to think it has.
I’m a pretty arrogant guy, so it isn’t often that someone says exactly what I was thinking, when I didn’t know it was exactly what I was thinking, and I can’t think of a single way to improve on it or amend it.
Oh, but for more rumination on fandom, you should definitely listen to Unanswered episode 11 - http://unansweredpodcast.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/show-11/
Space Jam: ‘I.S.S. (Is Somebody Singing)’ - Barenaked Ladies and Chris Hadfield, two great tastes that taste great together.