- @Sulman *smirk* @HantspolDogs #
- @Dion_Scrolls Oh yay. Btw kind of gutted that I failed to get you guys to look at @ElephantWords for the flash fiction pod. #
- Can only assume that BEFORE my haircut, I was walking into just as many spider webs but just not noticing. Eurgh! #
- @MikeDraws OH THANKS. #
- @MhairiMcF NICE PUS…. Yay, nice books! #
- @sarcastathon It slips out, whoop, like a bar of soap. #
- NEXT week's #MOMBcast is our 150th ep. If you've been waiting for a time to send us a 2-5 min mp3 contribution about comics, a good time! #
- @MrGJohnson I've ordered!# #
- @AFMJen AFFJen at tumblr, right, got it. #
- @jamiesmart I don't think that textually – I mean content-wise – we've really got much to complain about in comics. HOWEVER… #
- @jamiesmart …there's lots to be nostalgic about on the business/distribution side. Think short-term thinking is V damaging/anti content. #
- @davidwynne You can't something something blow that hard something hilarity ensues. @JamesMOMB #
- @jhewlett Huh. Some of us are recording a #MOMBcast around then so won't be able to. @AshRobFielder #
- Sitting waiting on Bourne Legacy. Am excited! #
- Going to follow @roseypea because I think she might be about to open a comic shop right, & I want to see how it goes. #
- Bourne Legacy is pretty great, actually. The action stuff is appropriately fast/hard/vicious. Balances tight A-story with intricate B… #
- …& doesn't talk down to viewer, but isn't obtuse, either. Really like the way this narrative interwoven with other Bourne movies, too. #
- Huh. Have been hearing about sponsored tweets, but never had any until tonight, when I've had 3. #
- Businesses buying tweets on Twitter: I am going to block you. Also probs Report As Spam, because that's how you're presenting to me. #
- @MhairiMcF @rob_hyde The queue was too long for me to GET any popcorn tonight, so I resent your metric. #
- Writer you like aligns with something you think is shallow/illegit – take one drink. That's Twitter. #
- @lindsayjordan well done! #
Wednesday 22nd May: “Tantrum recovery effort continues”
THIS IS THE NEWS!
(Fucking ace, as always.)
Game of Cats
History of mankind by Milo Manara
He said Star Trek is too “philosophical”? Screw that noise.
I don’t know when this interview happened but I AM SAD AND ANGRY NOW
The philosophies in Star Trek are kinda part of the actual setting. If you don’t get that, why are you allowed to make Star Trek movies.
Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that it’s philosophical. If you don’t want philosophical Science Fiction, there’s plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trek’s DNA, and if you’re given the captain’s chair, you’d better damn well respect that.
While you characters unbunch your panties, here’s a thing to consider: Abrams as a kid didn’t like Star Trek for being too philosophical. That’s an entirely legitimate reason for never having watched Star Trek as a kid. Abrams as an adult made a massively successful - both commercially and critically - Star Trek movie, which was both a sequel and a prequel and a reboot of a franchise dying on its arse.
I submit that the two are not entirely unrelated.
In fact, I’d go as far as to say that much - if not most - of the success, on every level, of J. J. Abrams’s Star Trek is precisely down to him not being a lifelong fan of the show.
When you cry and complain that Abrams shouldn’t have been allowed to make Star Trek films because he isn’t ‘one of us’; when you mock or criticise someone because their worldview isn’t yours, and you say it shouldn’t be allowed to intersect with yours; when you denigrate, rather than celebrate, diversity; when you desperately try to keep your part of the world clean and safe for yourself and don’t let the outsider and the alien in…
Then maybe the philosophy of Star Trek hasn’t taught you as much as you like to think it has.
I’m a pretty arrogant guy, so it isn’t often that someone says exactly what I was thinking, when I didn’t know it was exactly what I was thinking, and I can’t think of a single way to improve on it or amend it.
Oh, but for more rumination on fandom, you should definitely listen to Unanswered episode 11 - http://unansweredpodcast.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/show-11/
Space Jam: ‘I.S.S. (Is Somebody Singing)’ - Barenaked Ladies and Chris Hadfield, two great tastes that taste great together.