- @acheverton Exactly. Then explains why History Of Violence isn't relevant to his comments & uses it as example of hypocrisy anyway. Dumas! #
- My colleagues leave the stroppy butthurt emails that require an officious, overly-polite & unercurrent-sarky responses to me. Hm. #
- @kierongillen Apparently noticing that different cultures/peoples are different, and responding to that at all, is racist? Shit. I'm awful. #
- @royalboiler Pretty cool that your work has such a Euro sensibility without you having been here. Must mean your brain wiring is fucked. #
- @royalboiler But… I mean… like in a good way. #
- @royalboiler Seriously, @AndrewTunney is right, come to ThoughtBubble. There is DANCING! But, I mean, also comics & loveliness. #
- @royalboiler The dancing happens on the Saturday night, in very clearly defined space. No dancing allowed during show. AT ALL. @AndrewTunney #
- @royalboiler Although last year there WERE roller-derby ladies who were very athletic. @AndrewTunney #
- @royalboiler (Always oversell the dancing, cos I never go out dancing any more. So rare to have decent music night at a Con.) @AndrewTunney #
- Yeah, actually, on further reflection the conversation I just had is just making me exponentially more angry by minute. So much wrongness. #
- Oh hey you guys apparently doing something in Russia will sometimes get different results than doing the same thing in England! #
- @sarahditum Seems legi… what? #
- @steevbishop I don't think it was, but I totally watched all of them last night while I was editing. It's FUNNY. #
- @mmetcalfe Well, every system has it's pros and cons, huh? #
- @sarcastathon OH MY GOD DID YOU FALL OVER? #
- @sispurrier I thought we only just HAD @Budgie's birthday? #
- @sarcastathon Eurrgh, that sounds GROSS. #
- @sarcastathon People put ALL SORTS OF THINGS into their mouths, you know. #
- @mmetcalfe Hah… Wikipussy! #
- @sarcastathon Yeah, URGH GROSS! #
- @mmetcalfe Ewww… also, HUZZAH! #
- @sispurrier But… doesn't that mean he ages twice as fast, like the Queen? #
- @Godzillastwin That's when you send really polite one instead, & rather than call them idiot just point out all the ways that they ARE one. #
- @Godzillastwin BUT POLITELY. #
- @MhairiMcF AND ME! #
- @jamiesmart We talked a bit about Dandy on #MOMBcast last night – & I wondered how come it hasn't been mentioned at end of Harry Hill shows? #
- @JamesMOMB Hah, dude! It's not like they were getting Russians to play them when they WERE the villains. OUR ACTING JOBS ARE SAFE! #
- @TinyMaster OH MAN now I want steak for dinner. And lunch. #
- @jamesharveytm @jamiesmart It's a real shame – the Harry Hill connection could've been MORE golden if it'd pulled people onto the shelves. #
- @budgie Blimey. Is that how long a year is? BLIMEY. Days seem to be ticking by like minutes, these day… minutes… #
- As ridiculous as years in prison for ultimately victimless crime ridiculous by any metric, we shouldn't cry outrage TOO much for Pussy Riot. #
- …It's not as if they didn't know the likely outcome of their actions. It might almost be possible to see the outcome as the POINT. #
- …Sure, trolling a system might point to ridiculousness in that system, but you can't very well complain when it does what it was meant to. #
- @acheverton It's a bit silly, really, isn't it? It's that credulousness thing I was talking about earlier – GOV BAD! BAH DOWN WITH GOV! #
- If you think band named Pussyriot, behaving how they do, in places they do, isn't DESPERATE for exactly this attention, I got nothin for ya. #
- @juliascheele You are NOT a robot, you are just a bloody show off. Stop rolling around & projecting… Holograms. #
- @marcellerby @ThoughtBubbleUK Anyone who unfollows anyone over their like or dislike of an entertainment object is a [unintelligible]. #
- @steve_lieber Totally agreed. By the way, loved #5 of Alabaster! #
Wednesday 22nd May: “Tantrum recovery effort continues”
THIS IS THE NEWS!
(Fucking ace, as always.)
Game of Cats
History of mankind by Milo Manara
He said Star Trek is too “philosophical”? Screw that noise.
I don’t know when this interview happened but I AM SAD AND ANGRY NOW
The philosophies in Star Trek are kinda part of the actual setting. If you don’t get that, why are you allowed to make Star Trek movies.
Sigh. The whole point of Star Trek is that it’s philosophical. If you don’t want philosophical Science Fiction, there’s plenty of that for you to enjoy, but Star Trek is philosophical. Philosophy is part of Star Trek’s DNA, and if you’re given the captain’s chair, you’d better damn well respect that.
While you characters unbunch your panties, here’s a thing to consider: Abrams as a kid didn’t like Star Trek for being too philosophical. That’s an entirely legitimate reason for never having watched Star Trek as a kid. Abrams as an adult made a massively successful - both commercially and critically - Star Trek movie, which was both a sequel and a prequel and a reboot of a franchise dying on its arse.
I submit that the two are not entirely unrelated.
In fact, I’d go as far as to say that much - if not most - of the success, on every level, of J. J. Abrams’s Star Trek is precisely down to him not being a lifelong fan of the show.
When you cry and complain that Abrams shouldn’t have been allowed to make Star Trek films because he isn’t ‘one of us’; when you mock or criticise someone because their worldview isn’t yours, and you say it shouldn’t be allowed to intersect with yours; when you denigrate, rather than celebrate, diversity; when you desperately try to keep your part of the world clean and safe for yourself and don’t let the outsider and the alien in…
Then maybe the philosophy of Star Trek hasn’t taught you as much as you like to think it has.
I’m a pretty arrogant guy, so it isn’t often that someone says exactly what I was thinking, when I didn’t know it was exactly what I was thinking, and I can’t think of a single way to improve on it or amend it.
Oh, but for more rumination on fandom, you should definitely listen to Unanswered episode 11 - http://unansweredpodcast.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/show-11/
Space Jam: ‘I.S.S. (Is Somebody Singing)’ - Barenaked Ladies and Chris Hadfield, two great tastes that taste great together.